Friday, March 25, 2011

The Difference Between Fitting In and Standing Out

Four people who graduated from my high school in 2010 go to this college, and two of them are my room mate and myself. The other two I see from time to time around campus, offering a friendly hello. One thing that has happened quite a bit has been thinking I see one of them when really it’s someone I’ve never seen before in my life. I remember what these people look like of course, I grew up with them. Then why would I have so much trouble mistaking others for them?

It’s because they’re doing too good of a job of fitting in.

If you stopped by a college campus anytime soon, you would notice an onslaught of students in jeans and sweatshirts. This combo can also be mixed with workout pants, winter coats, and simple shirts. For the girls, you’ll probably see a lot of headbands with their hair tied up. On the feet, you’ll see tennis shoes or Uggs.
Sure, it’s comfortable. Sure, it’s what everyone is wearing. Alas, then you end up mixing in with the crowd too well. Think about it like this: You’re applying for a job. The other interviewees are all very similar to you in skill, work ethic, etc. Why should the business hire you?

Now I’m not saying you should go around dressing up in a clown suit or something bizarre like that. However, I’d like to think I’d rather be wearing a dress than jeans. Add a dash of color. Make yourself stand out, but in a good way!

Would you like to be well known in the way Leonardo Dicaprio is, or like Heidi Montag? That’s how it’s like standing out in a good or bad way.

If sweatshirts and jeans are the way you like to dress, that’s fine too. Just try not to fade into the crowd!

How do you stand out?

No comments:

Post a Comment